Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Remembering the Music

Two years later: Remembering the music of our special day... music just adds so much to a wedding ceremony, and we wanted our music selections to be unique yet traditional. 

Here's what went down:


This was actually at the end of the ceremony... instead of having everyone say the Lord's Prayer together, I asked one of my college girls to sing it. I already had a CD with her singing it, so I knew it would be an amazing finish to the ceremony. 


 Our piano player was a good friend of ours who actually married Grizz's cousin. She was a choir teacher, but she is a stay at home mom - their first little one is about 8 months older than Peanut! Anyways, a little back story: about half a year after meeting this amazing piano player who has a wonderful voice to match, a group of us went up to Mt. Carmel near Alexandria, MN for a winter weekend of friendship, snowshoes and xc skis. We held our own church service where this girl sat down and played just about any hymn from the book we asked her to. She also played a gorgeous version of All Creatures of Our God and King - a popular hymn that a Christian artist recently added his flair to. Soooo, when we were deciding what congregational hymns to sing at our wedding, we of course had to include Grizz's now-cousin-in-law playing All Creatures of Our God and King. My college girl lead the songs while the piano played.


Congregational hymns (played with piano and a vocal leader):
  • All Creatures of Our God and King - traditional hymn redone by the David Crowder band
  • Mighty to Save - Hillsong United
(If you've never heard either of these songs, I suggest you search You-tube!)


We chose to have congregational hymns over having soloists as a way to include the congregation in our special day. However, as I was searching for first dance songs, I found "This Day" by Jadon Lavik. It is not very well known at all, but I fell in love with the lyrics. When I shared it with Grizz, he just up and offered to sing it while playing the guitar. Yes, please!!

Solo
  • This Day - Jadon Lavik


 On a side note... it was incredibly awkward to stand up there without him! Well, it was a bit awkward to stand up in front of everyone throughout the ceremony. No one ever talks about that! I resisted the temptation to look out at everyone, as I did not want to see that all eyes were on us. Ugh. Even during the congregational songs... have you ever just stood and stared at your guy and sang for two entire songs? Haha. It's just one of those things I have to laugh about when I think back to that special day :)

 Last but not least, I needed to have the organ playing at least sometime during the ceremony. There's just something so inspirational about organ music in a church sanctuary. I would choose that over a piano any day. Luckily I have an aunt who still plays the organ (it's becoming a lost art!); she gets called on to play at weddings a lot. She played for our prelude, processional and recessional... this is the part we get very traditional!

Prelude:
  • Music chosen by organist
Processional:
  • Wedding Party - Canon in 'D' (sometimes referred to as Pachabel's Canon)
  • Bride - Jesu, Joy of Our Desiring
Recessional:

  • Trumpet Tune

That's all folds... the music at our wedding ceremony. I can't believe it's already been two years... it is so fun to look back and reminisce!


*Photography by Black Studios.

No comments:

Post a Comment