I made one last dress for Hopeful Threads' project this month: make dresses for the Dress A Girl Around the World organization. The overall goal at the beginning of the month was to make 100 dresses, but because of a wonderful response from bloggy-land, the goal has been raised to 200 dresses! I made 4 dresses from pillowcases I made (read that post here), but then I won a giveaway for a dress kit!
Kristy from Hopeful Threads, gave away all the necessities to make a pillowcase dress, fabric, bias tape, and elastic. She also threw in some lace!
Without the giveaway, I would not have made a 5th dress, so I'm extremely grateful for Kristy's generosity!
And look! Once I opened up the fabric completely, I found more goodies! A button and three labels :)
Without further ado, here's the dress I made from Kristy's giveaway.
I sewed one line of decorative stitching along the top front. That way I was able to remember which side was the front! (The front elastic is 7" and the back is 8"... I didn't want to sew the pockets on the 8" side!)
I sewed a 3" hem and attached the lace right on top my stitching.
She sent more than enough lace, so I added pockets; however, I didn't have any blue fabric that matched the bias tape, so I used this pink polka dot from JoAnn's to make 6" pockets (I made 5" pockets before, but I like this size much better). There is also another line of decorative stitching above the lace on each pocket.
I finished it off with one of the labels from the giveaway. Complete :)
I then added the other two labels to two of my first dresses I made!
Now, I just need to mail them off to the nearest Dress A Girl Around the World representative. What a great organization :)
Thanks again, Kristy, for the wonderful dress kit!