Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Four Dresses

dag button2

Check out Hopeful Threads and the awesome monthly projects... April's project is to sew dresses for Dress A Girl Around the World, an organization that aims to provide a dress to every little girl in the world.  Cool, right?

Well,  I wasn't sure if I was going to participate or not. I have plenty of thrifted pillowcases in my stash, but then I read at Dress A Girl, that if someone sews a pillowcase dress, they really want that pillowcase to be new. It makes sense, if the recipient is only going to have one dress in their life, we want it to last... 

But then, I found two sets of pillowcases in the Walmart Clearance aisle. The orange set was originally $20 for the pair, but it was on sale for $7, and the other set was originally $10, but it was on sale for $5. I threw them in the cart and picked up some bias tape. I was set!



I tried to make each dress slightly different... no one likes wearing the same dress at prom as someone else, right?! So on this orange one, I added a decorative stitch in several places. 



This orange one got green pockets with brown rick rack and a double stitch along the bias tape straps.


Both of the brown dresses got pockets, but they each have different buttons!


I did do a triple-stitch zig-zag on one of the dresses' straps, but it gave me a hard time, so the other brown dress only had a straight stitch.


I'm so happy that I participated... it felt really good making something that some little girl will appreciate!

5 comments:

  1. Those are adorable. I found you on Sew Much Ado, You have a beautiful blog, I can't wait to read more. If you would like I would love if you came to share this at my Sunday Party, it opens Saturday afternoon
    every week @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    Thanks,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I'm hoping to get the time this week to make a dress for this project too! I'm jealous of your lovely stitches!!! I might need to invest in a machine upgrade! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great how you've made the dresses different, Heidi. Love the decorative stitching!!! They all look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I love how you put different details into each dress to that each is special. Please stop by: http://www.redheadedmommy.com and see my work. I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Round Up. I can't wait to see what you share next week.
    Rose @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/

    ReplyDelete