Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Quilted Sewing Caddy

Several, several weeks ago, I recieved a package in the mail... it was a gift from my mother-in-law! I have a lot to live up to with that lady - an amazing cook, sewer, quilter (hand-quilting!) and furniture refinisher - not to mention being so kind and generous! I look forward to when Grizz and I live close to our families again... there are lots of sewing, canning, antiquing days in our future :)

Anyways, the gift was a kit for a sewing caddey that she purchased at a local quilt store. It came with three fat quarters, fusible fleece and directions.

I did a few things different than what the instructions told me to do... they wanted me to do fusible fleece in the pockets along with the backdrop. Well, I knew there would be no way that my machine could handle three layers of fusible fleece, so I just used some interfacing in the pockets instead. Still, when it got time to sew the final binding on, I was skipping stitches like crazy by the pockets. Frustrating! I changed my needle twice during this entire project... perhaps my machine doesn't like fusible fleece?! I had to use a quilting needle, as even my trusty denim needles couldn't handle it! 

 When I was attaching the binding on the pockets, I decided that I didn't want to take the time to hand-stitch the binding to the back, and you know I still don't trust myself trying to sew-in-the-ditch to attach it to the back... so next best thing? Decorative stitches! :)

The quilting went OK - I used disappearing ink and my cutting ruler to draw the lines. I had a little trouble with skipped stitches here, too. Needle change! Perhaps it was the thread I used? It was just the stuff you get at JoAnns that I had in stock already. My stitch length was 3.5. Anyhoo... I got through it :)

 The directions wanted the ties sewn on the long edge, but I decided to put them at the top instead. Now I can even hang it on a hook if I want to!

Anytime I want to go sew over at Neighbor's, I can just wrap up my goodies and head on over!

And, if I'm going farther, or just want to bundle them up more to make sure nothing falls out, I can fold it this way as well.

Overall, I really enjoyed this project, and I love the way it turned out! It even matches how I hope to decorate my future sewing room with - black, white and various bright, solid colors! Perfect!

So, once again... a shout out to Grizz's mother... THANK YOU! :)




7 comments:

  1. That is very clever and versatile---what a sweet mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful and I agree with Betty Lou...........sweet mother-in-law!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you got yourself a good mother-in-law! I love how you did the quilting with the red thread - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it turned out great and love your quilting. I've had two mother-in-laws and neither sent me gifts (I wonder if that says something about them or me?!). Dropped by from QbytheR LP :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi again, don't know if you know that you have word verification turned on - if you want to remove it I've done a tutorial about it on my blog http://madebychrissied.blogspot.com/2012/06/tutorial-dreaded-comment-word.html. Sorry and hope I haven't offended you though if you want it there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is super cute! What a neat idea :-) I love that you can pack all of your tools up to travel, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a practical gift and it looks great. Good idea to use the decorative stitching...

    ReplyDelete