Friday, July 29, 2011

CASA Half Marathon

Last Friday, Grizz and I set out for Spearfish after he got off work. We met a few friends of ours at a LOVELY hotel... it was cheap and we had 6 people in there - perfect! I'll just say that their website doesn't exactly show what a "gem" this hotel was...

We woke up early on Saturday and headed to the city park. It was time to run a half-marathon! I ran this half last year by myself, so it was great to be with friends this year. Major plus? This road race is a fundraiser for a great charity - CASA of the Northern Hills. Here's the race website.

The race follows the scenic Spearfish Canyon road... curving around cliffs and following the stream. It's a beautiful race! Because last year all I wanted as I ran was a camera, I decided to carry a camera this year. I have a running "fanny pack" in a pretty, purple color that I bought so I can keep keys and phones in it as I'm running around towns. Well, perfect idea, why not wear it for the half so I can carry my camera with me?! To my dismay, this year wasn't as sunny, so I couldn't take a good scenery picture without blurrying. The camera was used on the bus as they drove us to the starting line, before the race, at mile 3 (when we found out the lighting would not work for pictures) and after we finished the race. Maybe I can blame my slower time on the fact that I was carrying a camera? Eh, maybe not... Last year I ran it in 1 hour and 32 minutes (2nd in my age group). This year Grizz and I ran it in 1 hour and 38 minutes (3rd in my age group). I'm proud of us - we've had a crazy summer, which isn't always conducive to "training." Before the race, his longest run was 8 miles, and that was two weeks before the race. I didn't run much more than him either - that 8 mile run was the longest run I had done in about a year...

Here are some pictures from the race!

Our Running Friends!
Still on the bus... the trip up to the starting line feels so much longer than 13 miles!
At the top! Waiting for the race to start.
Great turn-out
With my fanny pack!
We did it! His first half-marathon and my second.
Great friends! Great runners!
Our Cheerleaders :)

No comments:

Post a Comment