Monday, February 13, 2012

Block #3 Ohio Star

It's Block #3! 
(Remember, I'm participating in the hand-pieced quilt-a-long with Why Not Sew?).

This one is called "Ohio Star." 
 I was actually happy when I realized that the pieces were larger than the 3" squares I've already cut most of my scraps into. You see, I don't have any pretty yellows in my scrap stash, and since it's a star, I really wanted to use yellow :) This yellow came from (gasp) a thrift store... I know, I know, you're getting tired of hearing me say that. Don't worry, I don't get ALL my fabric there; although my other fabric is usually just bought as remnants. What can I say - I'm cheap! And yet, even though I don't have the fancy name designer fabric. I'm still going to have a fancy quilt!

I'm still practicing with matching up triangles and making sure the points don't get sewn into a seam. Always looking to improve my skills!

So, here are the three blocks so far. I've officially decided to sash/border them with black and then use scrappy binding from scraps that match the fabric used in the quilt. I'm already designing my sewing/craft room around it :) ...oh, wait, I don't have a sewing room yet... someday!

2 comments:

  1. cute! I love that you're hand piecing them. And that you get your fabric at thrift shops, I have a huge stash of vintage-ish thrift store fabric. Haven't used any of it yet LOL. I've got an extra room with SHOULD be my sewing room but my bestest buddy refuses to find his own place to live, grr! Good luck getting one of your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting... I am very much enjoying hand-piecing these blocks. Good luck using that fabric stash of yours! I just love going into a thrift store and getting cheap fabric - it's such a thrill!

      Delete