Monday, September 26, 2011

Cake Bites


I admit, that picture isn't the most appetizing, but if you could just taste one of these little cake bites, you wouldn't care how un-tidy-ly they were covered with chocolate!

Story: I found the recipe in a magazine about a year ago and right away told a friend that we just had to make these cake-bite-things. We never got around to it, but over the year, these cake bite things became a trend across the nation. We even had them at my sister-in-law's bridal shower.

Anyways, I finally decided to make them a few weeks ago. Here's the how-to...


  1. Bake one cake according to package - you can add some fun "extras" here if you want. I added an extra teaspoon of almond flavoring, but I might try adding some irish cream next time :)
  2. Let the cake cool.
  3. Crumble the cake in a large mixing bowl.
  4. Add 1/2 of a tub of packaged frosting - depending on what "extras" you added in step 1, you can mix and match with what type of frosting you add in this step. I chose regular vanilla.
  5. Mix until the mixture can stick together.
  6. Form balls and place on a wax paper-covered pan (something that fits in your freezer
  7. Place in freezer for 2 hours
  8. Toward the end of the two hours, start melting the coating - you have choices here too - you can buy special candy coating, but you can also just use almond bark... I used chocolate almond bark! If you have a double boiler, use that on the stove, but I just used a regular pot and melted it over a medium-low heat. You do not want to burn this stuff. You can also use a microwave, but ours wasn't working that day...
  9. Take the bites out of the freezer and start dipping! I did them one at a time and used a long fork (they recommend a lollipop thing, but I used a fork that is used to hold meat when you cut it and it worked just fine!)
  10. I'm still brainstorming how to coat these so they're prettier, but as long as they taste good, I'm not going to care too much that about how they look!
  11. They can last a few days just sitting out, a few weeks in the fridge or a few months in the freezer!
We still have some in the freezer... I'm going to go eat one! Happy creating!


No comments:

Post a Comment