Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hanging Hoop Hopper

Prior to last Saturday, I was keeping all my yarn and projects in a large tub that also held other random crafty things. I didn't like that. So, I changed it.

Hanging Hoop Hopper


However, as usual, I didn't really follow her tutorial, but her project was definitely the inspiration!

I found the hoop at a thrift store. The fabric is vintage sheets and the hanger is just some blanket binding that I got in one of my craigslist buys :) This was the first time I cut into my vintage sheet stash!


You would have laughed if you had seen me; I was running back and forth from my cutting area in the "dining room" and my sewing room. I'm sure Grizz thought I had lost my head, but I was having so much fun! No pattern to follow; experimentation; lots of mistakes hid by creativity!

I'm sure if I would have just followed the tutorial word for word, it would look better, but it is so much fun just to learn from trial and error sometimes. And in the end, I have my yarn storage :) that's all I cared about with this project... I'm definitely not a perfectionist when it comes to making things for myself!

 Some day I might redo the strap - I just cut it and pinned it. Next time, I'll cut it longer and then sew it in place.

 And, when I no longer live in an apartment, this will hang on a true hook... not just one of those 3M removable things. (Sigh)

All of the yarn fits! 


On Sunday, I went thrifting again. More hoops for more hoppers! Maybe after a few more practice ones, I'll put up a true tutorial. We'll see :)



4 comments:

  1. I love this! It could be used for so many things and looks so pretty! Thanks for sharing....saw you at Love Affair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from the Sew Many Ways party. Great job! I love the yellow. :)

    -sara @ applestonedrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I don't have yarn but I have plenty of other goodies to stash. Thanks for linking up in the Vintage Sheet Blog Weekend Link Up Party.

    ReplyDelete